Why is a strong password important
The strength of passwords as an authentication control is more important than ever before. Cyber-criminals are increasingly using automated password cracking tools to identify passwords in a matter of seconds. A 2015 Trustwave Global Security Report revealed that out of a password sample size of 499,556 hashed passwords, experts cracked 51 percent of them within 24 hours and 88 percent within two weeks.
How weak is your current password?
Enter a password here to see how long it would take a bot to guess it.
Note: (This site is safe to use since it doesn’t know what the password will match up to or where it’s for.)
- About 30% of the traffic on the internet are malicious bots.
- If your website is hacked it will harm your firm’s reputation and visitor trust.
How to make a strong password
Here are some tips for choosing a secure password as recomended by DigitalOcean:
- Create a password that has eight or more characters. The longer the password the better.
- Use a string of random words.
- Add numbers and/or punctuation to your password.
- Mix upper and lowercase
- Use different passwords for different servers
To remember the strong password you create, you should use a password manager such as Dashlane, 1Password, LastPass, or others.
Password creator tools
Try one of these.
Keeping it safe
It’s important to not transmit login information in a insecure fashion. Follow these guidelines for distributing passwords to other people.